Replies to this thread:

More by furke
What people are reading
[Total Subscribers 2]


sports freak
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Refresh page to view new replies
 Marrying a US citizen!
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 12-29-10 3:24 AM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

I need your help. Do you know after how many years I can apply for US citizenship after becoming a permanent resident by marrying a US citizen?
And btw, I am an f1 in the US. Status is valid.
Thank you in advance !!!
Last edited: 29-Dec-10 10:40 AM

Posted on 12-29-10 3:28 AM     [Snapshot: 8]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

My question in another way: suppose, I marry a US citizen tomorrow and I get green card in a few months. Now after getting that green card, how long I have to wait to get a US passport.
Posted on 12-29-10 7:17 AM     [Snapshot: 85]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Everybody who got PR from any way, they have to wait 5 yrs to get Citizenship.
Last edited: 29-Dec-10 07:17 AM

Posted on 12-29-10 8:03 AM     [Snapshot: 118]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

You need to register your marriage in your county and get the marriage registration certificate.

You can file concurrent applications for green card using forms
Gathering all of the documents required for the above forms can take a month or so.

Once you have all the documents ready, you can send them to USCIS along with the forms. Assumming you do not get any RFEs, processing of you application could take anywhere between 2 months to 12 months, all depends on applications queue before you.
90 days before the expiration of your two-year conditional green card, you need to apply for I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence).
After completion of 3 years of successfully maintaining your green card status, you are eligible to apply for US citizenship. The application for citizenship (N-400) currently takes about 5 months. After that, applying for US passport takes about 4-6 weeks, expedited application takes half the time.

Not a lawyer here, for the most accurate information contact an immigration attorney.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 12-29-10 8:43 AM     [Snapshot: 165]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

3 is your number. your spouse must be a citizen for at least 3 years, you can file i485 3 months before your 3 years of marrying your citizen spouse. 
Posted on 12-29-10 10:38 AM     [Snapshot: 280]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Thanks HYHMe,

Let me know if you need any help; 

Posted on 12-29-10 10:39 AM     [Snapshot: 283]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    


I didn't quite understand you. Could you please elaborate? Are you saying I can be a citizen in three years of marrying a citizen if she is born in the US?

Posted on 12-29-10 11:07 AM     [Snapshot: 337]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Once you marry a us citizen, shes gonna have to file for adjustment of your status ie permanent resident... Onceits approved you will get a conditional green card for two years ... And after two years is you are still married; you can apply for citizenship after that ...so its two years...
Good luck
Posted on 12-29-10 11:48 AM     [Snapshot: 371]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    


I understood all your sentences except the last one. According to you, I can be a US citizen in 2 years of marrying a US citizen; is that what you are saying?

Posted on 12-29-10 11:50 AM     [Snapshot: 372]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

As far as i remember, u was about to marry illegal F1 girl in your last thread a month ago and now, great man, perpendicular is the shortest distance in a triangle ;)
Posted on 12-29-10 1:52 PM     [Snapshot: 476]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

silence43 bro,

oh yea. Thanks for remembering. You already know the triangle.  Alas, it is not going to work for me after knowing it will take 5 years.

Posted on 12-30-10 10:27 PM     [Snapshot: 713]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Furke; did you just created this thread for fun or really needed information. 
दुबै हतमा लद्दु , मोज गर पाच बर्ष अनी मात्रै पाउछौ अमेरिकि राहदानी । 
Last edited: 30-Dec-10 10:29 PM

Posted on 12-31-10 12:14 AM     [Snapshot: 738]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Not for fun bhojpure!
Really need the infn. It used to b 5 Years long ago, and just wanted to check what new laws are coz immigration laws always change so.
There are lots of more topics to choose to have fun, not immigration.
Happy New Year. What if I join high school from 7th grade and by the time I graduate high school, dream act will lead me to citizenship, :D
Posted on 12-31-10 1:40 AM     [Snapshot: 810]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Its 3 yrs . Join the army and it could be 3 months too
Posted on 12-31-10 9:44 PM     [Snapshot: 995]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

i agree with bhojpure bro, here furke again making some thing just to pass his time, i m sure he knows more than that bro, looking all ur threads n answers u know way more than this question, anyway no worry bro,btw  reading Ur comments n writing makes me think u r somewhere in Dallas TX, is that right or u probably at NLC or UTA. anyway have fun, we need people like u here in sajha to make it interesting.no hard feeling.
thanks keep it coming. 

happy new year to all sajha users n everybody.
have fun peace,

Posted on 01-01-11 1:43 PM     [Snapshot: 1113]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Haha good one furke
Posted on 01-02-11 9:08 AM     [Snapshot: 1252]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Yeah if you have a green card; you will be eligible to be a naturalized citizen after 5 years. But if your spouse is a US citizen then you will be eligible to be naturalized after 3 years as a permanent citizen...
Did u see that I came and replied in your thread
Posted on 01-02-11 12:10 PM     [Snapshot: 1295]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Bhiringi sancho vayo kya?

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 90 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
🙏 दलाल स्ट्रिट 🙏
##केटा हो ,*Monthly* कती *SAVE* हुन्छ ? ##
सालीको चाक
मेरो नेपाल यात्रा
ChatSansar.com Naya Nepal Chat
भाते मुखियाबा
जोईटिङ्रे को उदय
अर्काको मुतको न्यानोमा समाउनेहरु....
Corona virus - how deadly is it really? and for whom?
Mero USA yatra
साझाका लेखाईले आतंकित बनाउछ
How's brain of Republican wired? School Shootings Data
Kathmandu- the capital of political ideas?
Where do most Nepali live in Albany, NY
सालीको पेन्टी
अरुलाई हाम्रो धर्मको चिनारी कसरि दिने / हिन्दुत्व बारे हाम्रो जानकारी ?
Ring Ring!
with conservative US Supreme Court, do you think TPS gonna be extended ?
Balen Shah and the hype
Marriage certificate error
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters